ADSA was formed in 1985 for the purpose of ensuring that its member companies offer superior levels of safety for pedestrian automatic doors.
ADSA exists to promote the highest standards in automatic doors and to help specifiers and customers obtain the best solution for their requirements. ADSA first developed the industry code of practice. This covers the safety aspects of automatic doors for pedestrian use. This subsequently formed the basis of BS 7036: 1988, a code of practice for provision and installation of safety devices for automatic, power operated pedestrian door systems.
With advances in technology and the introduction of new safety devices, ADSA then developed to the updated standard BS 7036: 1996 covering safety of powered doors for pedestrian use. This was complemented by a written test taken by anyone involved in the industry who undertakes operations covered by The British Standard.
ADSA is actively involved in the formulation of European-wide standards. This resulted in standard BS EN 16005 – 2012, which replaced BS 7036 in April 2013. All members are fully committed to this standard and its associated testing.
ADSA member companies supply over 75% of the UK market. They can advise on every aspect of automatic doors, from the initial selection and specification, through to installation in order to ensure that clients end up with the right type of door for their particular requirements.
Automatic doors aren’t just aesthetically pleasing. They can help regulate climate control in an entrance area whilst also offering a functional solution for people of all ages and abilities, particularly when viewed in compliance with the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and the Equality Act 2010.
For ADSA our work on technical standards is paramount. We have representatives on technical standard committees including;
MHE/031 Automatic Power Operated Pedestrian Doors
B/538/01 Windows and Doors
B/538/15 Finger Traps
MHE/031 UK Mirror Group
B/559 Access to Buildings for Disabled People
BS 7036-0 Risk assessment for BS EN 16005
Ely (/ˈiːli/ (About this soundlisten) EE-lee) is a cathedral city in Cambridgeshire, England, about 14 miles (23 km) north-northeast of Cambridge and about 80 miles (129 km) by road from London. Æthelthryth (also known as Etheldreda) founded an abbey at Ely in 673; the abbey was destroyed in 870 by Danish invaders and was rebuilt by Æthelwold, Bishop of Winchester, in 970. Construction of the cathedral was started in 1083 by a Norman abbot, Simeon. Alan of Walsingham's octagon, built over Ely's nave crossing between 1322 and 1328, is the "greatest individual achievement of architectural genius at Ely Cathedral", according to architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner. Building continued until the dissolution of the abbey in 1539 during the Reformation. The cathedral was sympathetically restored between 1845 and 1870 by the architect George Gilbert Scott. As the seat of a diocese, Ely has long been considered a city; in 1974, city status was granted by royal charter.
Ely is built on a 23-square-mile (60 km2) Kimmeridge Clay island which, at 85 feet (26 m), is the highest land in the Fens. Major rivers including the Witham, Welland, Nene and Great Ouse feed into the Fens and, until draining commenced in the 17th century, formed freshwater marshes and meres within which peat was laid down. There are two Sites of Special Scientific Interest in the city: a former Kimmeridge Clay quarry, and one of the United Kingdom's best remaining examples of medieval ridge and furrow agriculture.
The economy of the region is mainly agricultural. Before the Fens were drained, the harvesting of osier (willow) and sedge (rush) and the extraction of peat were important activities, as were eel fishing—from which the settlement's name may have been derived—and wildfowling. The city had been the centre of local pottery production for more than 700 years, including pottery known as Babylon ware. A Roman road, Akeman Street, passes through the city; the southern end is at Ermine Street near Wimpole and its northern end is at Brancaster. Little direct evidence of Roman occupation in Ely exists, although there are nearby Roman settlements such as those at Little Thetford and Stretham. A coach route, known to have existed in 1753 between Ely and Cambridge, was improved in 1769 as a turnpike (toll road). The present-day A10 closely follows this route; a southwestern bypass of the city was built in 1986. Ely railway station, built in 1845, is on the Fen Line and is now a railway hub, with lines north to King's Lynn, northwest to Peterborough, east to Norwich, southeast to Ipswich and south to Cambridge and London.
The King's School is a coeducational boarding school which was granted a royal charter in 1541 by Henry VIII; the school claims to have existed since 970. Henry I granted the first annual Fair, Saint Audrey's (or Etheldreda's) seven-day event, to the abbot and convent on 10 October 1189; the word "tawdry" originates from cheap lace sold at this fair. Present-day annual events include the Eel Festival in May, established in 2004, and a fireworks display in Ely Park, first staged in 1974. The city of Ely has been twinned with Denmark's oldest town, Ribe, since 1956. Ely City Football Club was formed in 1885.