An automatic door, also known as an auto door, is a door that opens automatically, usually on sensing the approach of a person.
In the 1st century AD, mathematician Heron of Alexandria in Roman Egypt invented the first known automatic door. He described two different automatic door applications. The first application used heat from a fire lit by the city's temple priest. After a few hours atmospheric pressure built up in a brass vessel causing it to pump water into adjacent containers. These containers acted as weights that – through a series of ropes and pulleys – would open the temple's doors at about the time people were to arrive for prayer. Heron used a similar application to open the gates to the city.
In 1931, engineers Horace H. Raymond and Sheldon S. Roby of the tool and hardware manufacturer Stanley Works designed the first model of an optical device triggering the opening of an automatic door. The invention was patented and installed in Wilcox's Pier Restaurant in West Haven, Connecticut for the benefit of waiters carrying plates of food and drink. The entire system plus installation was sold for $100.
In 1954, Dee Horton and Lew Hewitt invented the first sliding automatic door. The automatic door used a mat actuator. In 1960, they co-founded Horton Automatics Inc and placed the first commercial automatic sliding door on the market.
Market Rasen is a town and civil parish within the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. The River Rase runs through it east to west, approximately 13 miles (21 km) north-east from Lincoln, 18 miles (29 km) east from Gainsborough and 16 miles (26 km) south-west from Grimsby. It lies on the main road between Lincoln and Grimsby, the A46 and is on National Cycle Route 1 (part of EuroVelo 12) of the National Cycle Network.
In 2001 the town had a population of 3,200. In the 2011 census he population of the civil parish was 3,904.
The town is known for Market Rasen Racecourse and being close to the epicentre of a 2008 earthquake.