Banner Default Image

​Abought ledgeris a system inaccountingby which a business records and monitors itscreditors. The purchase ledger contains the individual accounts of suppliers from whom the business has made purchases oncredit. Information oninvoicesandcredit notesreceived, and payments made, are recorded in the supplier's account using thedebits and creditssystem, with thebalanceof each account at a given moment representing the amount currently owed to that supplier.[citation needed]

Historically, the purchase ledger was maintained in book form, hence the termledger, but in modern practice it is much more likely to be held on computer usingaccountancy softwareor aspreadsheet. The concept of Double-entry Bookkeeping is that debits balance the credits at all times. For convenience the main Trial Balance lists some accounts containing many entries as simply a single control figure. There is then a separate physical Ledger for the summarised area, which could conveniently be managed on its own, often at physically separate locations from the main ledger book. The Purchase Ledger is a common example of this.[citation needed]

The purchase ledger will ordinarily be an overall credit (liability) balance, unless credit notes or over-payments exceed the credit balance. However within itself, it is usual to show all invoices as positive figures, and payments as negative entries, as this minimises the number of negative entries to make/read.

​Market Harborough is a market town within the Harborough district of Leicestershire, England. It is situated in the far southeast of the county, forming part of the border with Northamptonshire.

Harborough District has a population of 91,461 (2017)[1] and Market Harborough is the district's administrative headquarters.[2] It sits on the Northamptonshire-Leicestershire border. The town was formerly at a crossroads for both road and rail; however the A6 now bypasses the town to the east and the A14 which carries east-west traffic is 6 miles (9.7 km) to the south. Market Harborough railway station is served by East Midlands Railway services on the Midland Main Line with direct services north to Leicester, Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield and south to London St Pancras. Rail services to Rugby and Peterborough ended in 1966.

Market Harborough is located in an area which was formerly a part of the Rockingham Forest, a royal hunting forest used by the medieval monarchs starting with William I. Rockingham Road takes its name from the forest. The forest's original boundaries stretched from Market Harborough through to Stamford and included the settlements at Corby, Kettering, Desborough, Rothwell, Thrapston and Oundle.

The steeple of St Dionysius' Church rises directly from the street, as there is no churchyard. It was constructed in grey stone in 1300 with the church itself a later building of about 1470. Next to the church stands the Old Grammar School, a small timber building dating from 1614. The ground floor is open, creating a covered market area and there is a single room on the first floor. It has become a symbol of the town. The nearby square is largely pedestrianised and surrounded by buildings of varying styles. The upper end of the High Street is wide and contains mostly unspoiled Georgian buildings.

Market Harborough has two villages within its confines: Great Bowden lies over a hill about a mile from the town centre; Little Bowden is less than half a mile from the town centre. The three centres have largely coalesced through ribbon development and infill, although Great Bowden continues to retain a strong village identity.

Latest jobs